Ricky’s Back Yard started out as an anthology publisher that (get this) PAID its authors and gave the rest of the money to charities. We had a big $1,000 grand prize send off as #Resist (aka Fucked) to close shoppe on anthologies and open it for novels. We aim to publish 1-2 novels per year and the reading fee is $3,000. Just kidding. Only scum bags charge reading fees and Grandma Ann didn't raise no punk ass bitch. We don't charge a thing for submitting. So, if you have something you THINK is up our alley (dark and bloody alley at that), do feel free to send it.
What we are looking for is ‘interesting’ and ‘I need to see that again’ and ‘Jesus, that gave me a nightmare…’ Please note that this is not an offer to have stories about kittens in a blender or anything. We want submissions that are strong, punk, dark, humorous, and just strange enough to be true. If you have that story that other people wouldn’t touch with a 15-foot pole then send it over! Just make sure it’s worth the email postage before doing so.
Novels? Want them! Graphic Novels? Oh, hell ya! Short Story Collection? Damn right! F those other presses! Poetry!? Errm...we need to talk. It's not you, it's us (No Poetry).
If you want to submit your story or graphic work, please use this rather cool Submittable form. Emails are sooooo 2016.
Got a novel? How about a collection short stories? Poetry (sorry, no poetry!) Graphic Novel?! Sure! We want raw. We want real. We want YOU!
Our rules are simple:
- Send via Submittable a Cover letter, a logline, a synopsis (no more than 1-2 pages!), and the first 30 pages of your novel/short story collection/graphic novel in PDF form.
- If you do submit somewhere else, tell us so we are aware.
- If we say 'yes', and if you accept, then you agree to our terms (which are similar to our anthology terms but we keep the rights with us longer).
- If you we say 'no', we will try to give you feedback. That feedback might be 'this was damn close, if you want try this this and this the resubmit' or it might be 'sorry, but no thank you'.
Our offer is also simple:
- We don't charge a reader fee (beware of anyone who does)
- We don't charge our authors a damn cent (beware of anyone who does)
- We do not pay advances--but will pay royalty.
- You will receive an e-book and print book treatment.
- You will receive an author copy of each.
- You will have input on cover art
- You will keep future rights (but if you do make a damn movie out of this--remember us, eh?)
- We will do our best to push your book.
- We will treat you as one of the family (small prints ftw!) (No borrowing the car! Get home by 9! What's that on your face?! A PLEDGE PIN!?!!)
- We will entertain publishing things that most houses would blush reading.
This is our 'online only' version of Ricky's Back Yard and it does pay less ($2 CAD via PayPal or in person if you can catch me) than the print issue, but every accepted piece is automatically put into contention for the current theme call submission (with more pay!).
You know you want to submit--it's fun--plus where else would you get a Pushcart Prize nominating magazine who ran a graphic art story about literally fisting cancer in the peehole?