General Guideline Info:
We started as a theme anthology publisher where all the monies went to charity. Currently, we are still publishing nigh daily graphic art/horror news, podcasts, and reviews on the website (www.hauntedmtl.com) (and with pay!). We also publish horror novels, graphic novels, and occult non-fiction (read on for that submission page!). HauntedMTL.com (@hauntedmtl) is the location for the daily horror feed, including HauntedMTL Originals of art/fiction. If you have a horror short story, be on the lookout for our anthology calls!
What we are looking for is ‘interesting’ and ‘I need to see that again’ and ‘Jesus, that gave me a nightmare…’ Please note that this is not an offer to have stories about kittens in a blender or anything. We want submissions that are strong, punk, dark, humorous, and just strange enough to be true. If you have that story that other people wouldn’t touch with a 15-foot pole then send it over! Just make sure it’s worth the email postage before doing so.
If you want to submit your story or graphic work, please use this rather cool Submittable form. Please note that we do send regular mailing lists out to everyone who submits--and we always allow an option to get off that list. However, submitting here also means you consent to being put on the list (until you tell us otherwise!)
TL;DR - We want Horror in all formats (graphic novel, novel, collection). We will also publish non-fiction occult. We do not take pitches or works in progress--also, no poetry. Our word count is 70-100k for Novels/story collections. For graphic novels, we are a lot more flexible. Everything submitted has to be your own--UNPUBLISHED work (this includes not using song lyrics or submitting self-published/blog work to us).
Got a horror novel? Horror graphic novel?! Sure! We want raw. We want real. We want YOU! ....unless it's poetry. Seriously, if you send us Poetry--we are not reading it. You know who you are...
Our rules are simple:
- Send via Submittable a Cover letter (P.S. if you don't say at least Hi to us in the cover letter, Dr Jo kills it in the trashcan), a logline, a synopsis (no more than 1-2 pages!), the word count, and the first 30 pages of your novel/short story collection/graphic novel in doc/docx form.
- If you do submit somewhere else, tell us so we are aware.
- Check this word count graphic out. Look at it. Read it. Understand it. https://www.writersdigest.com/guest-columns/word-count-for-novels-and-childrens-books-the-definitive-post
- If we say 'yes', and if you accept, then you agree to our terms (Terms if we give you a print/ebook contract here).
- If you we say 'no', we will try to give you feedback. That feedback might be 'this was damn close, if you want try this this and this the resubmit' or it might be 'sorry, but no thank you'. We might even suggest you to a related publisher.
Our offer is also simple:
- We don't charge a reader fee (beware of anyone who does)
- We don't charge our authors a damn cent (beware of anyone who does)
- We do not pay advances--but will pay royalty per year.
- You will have rights as described in the terms of the contract (but if you do make a damn movie out of this--remember us, eh?)
- We will do our best to push your book.
- We will treat you as one of the family (small prints ftw!) (No borrowing the car! Get home by 9! What's that on your face?! A PLEDGE PIN!?!!)
- We will entertain publishing things that most houses would blush reading.
Remember, by submitting you agree to the terms of the contracts. Also, no, we don't alter contracts. If you don't like it--well, there's the door :) --->
This call is for POC writers/reviewers only. There may be other calls in the future, but please respect the direction.
Did you ever close your eyes but kept peeking anyways? Have bad dreams about a movie that haunted you--and still watched the sequels?
We are looking for horror reviewers for Movies, TV, Games (Video and Other), and books. If it drips, sucks, or oozes blood--we want to cover it.
This is a blog post (easy style to learn) that will be 100% original content driven with use of credited cover work (e.g., a movie poster/book cover, etc). This position pays $2 a post and each post should be between 300 to 400 words.
HauntedMTL is a vocal and active horror family who supports underrepresented voices including POC, BLM, LBGTQ voices in horror (and just in general). If you don't vibe with this--please skip us over (plenty of other cool places for you to apply but we might not be your cuppa).
If you are interested please send us a sample of your writing (on topic).
Good luck :)